Monday, November 23, 2009

A Reading Addiction

One of the reasons I've not posted here recently is that I've been very involved with reading the Twilight book series. I've read the first three books and am about half way through the fourth.

Many years ago when I was young, I read constantly and often came out of my reading reverie to hear my mother calling for me. Often she had been calling for quite some time and I hadn't heard her. "Got your head in a book again?" she'd ask... frequently.

Once I had started a book, I found it very difficult to put it down until it was finished. I had such a  conpulsion to read that I had to give it up entirely when my children were young or heaven only knows what they would have happened.

It was many years before I gave myself permission to read again, but when I did, the same compulsion to read overcame any other task I "should" have been doing. It is very much like an addiction and I find it very difficult to resist picking up my current book and spending a few hours reading.

Non-fiction doesn't seem to affect me the same way fiction does, although I can remember a longish period about twenty-odd years ago when I first started learning about 'things spiritual' that the same affliction overcame me. I couldn't seem to read anough about the subject... as if I was somehow making up for lost time.

I figure, if a book is worth reading, then it's worth my undivided attention. And the dust and the dishes will still be there when I've finished!

No comments: