Saturday, August 7, 2010

Putting Yourself First

Many  people from my generation (and even the younger generation although I don't believe it's as prevalent), have a big problem putting themselves first. We were taught by our parents and other authority figures that it was selfish to put our own needs before those of others. However, I have learned that this simply doesn't serve us.

The big difference that makes it OK to be 'selfish' is when we choose to put self first - for the sake of others. We cannot give from an empty cup so it's vitally important that we fill our own first by doing what is in our own best interest. Mothers know how easy it is to keep doing, doing, doing for others, but neglecting their own needs. They start to feel resentful! Fathers often feel that they're working their butts off to keep food on the table and a roof over their family's head, but if they never have time for their own interests, they too start to feel resentful.

If we are to be empowered individuals, then it's imperative that we do what's best for our self. If we don't, then we run the risk of eventually burning out and becoming sick. This is a complex subject and one that would take far too much space here, but I was just watching a video from The Lightworker Evolution Centre entitled Self First vs Selfish which explains the implications in far better detail than I can.

I know that there have been times in my life when I have made decisions that were for me alone. It was a scary way for me to act as I felt I had responsibilities that didn't marry well with those decisions. But, for my own peace of mind, it was necessary for me to make them and I have never regretted it.

It's not always easy to put yourself before others, but eventually people come to respect you for doing so - at least that's been my experience. At first, others will try and manipulate you to be the person you were before you made 'selfish' decisions. After all, that's the person they're familiar with and they feel comfortable around. You were predictable and you toed the line. They don't recognize this new empowered individual so it's understandable that they want the 'old you' back.

Don't give in to them! Stand your ground! You have a right to live your life the way YOU want and it's up to the other person(s) to live their own life the way they choose.

No comments: