Monday, August 23, 2010

Using EFT to Counter the Inner Critic

As an advocate for self-empowerment, I'm always exploring ways to empower myself personally, physically, economically, and spiritually. I've tried many methods in my search. In the past twenty odd years, I've read hundreds of books, atttended numerous courses, webinars and teleconferences, and followed many mentors as I've discussed on my website.

However, as I've mentioned before, Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is one of the most powerful tools I've ever come across - for ALL areas of empowerment mentioned above.

A few days ago, I had a realization (not the first one) that I lacked self-love. You may remember that I tried to say "I love you" to my image in the bathroom mirror and later in the day came across an email from Margaret Lynch which included a routine to counter The Inner Critic. I also promised to share the EFT routine with you.

I was planning to record a video on it, but that will have to come later as I spent some time with two of my daughters yesterday. We went out for a meal, then saw Eat, Pray Love - a great movie and an even greater book by Elizabeth Gilbert. But I will at least share the written routine. If you're familiar with EFT, you can tap along yourself, but if you're not, then I'll provide a video of it in the near future when I have a bit more time.

Dr. Joe’s Rubino’s Insights – EFT Tapping Routine for The Inner Critic

Karate chop point:
Even though I have this huge inner critic that works on me day and night, I honor and accept myself. It’s okay, it’s just a part of me.
Even though I have this continual voice in my ear from my inner critic And sometimes it’s really nasty, it’s okay. Observing it is progress for me!

Even though I have a big inner critic that is often ruthless in beating me up, I honor that a deeper part of me is calling me to observe this critical voice because it’s time to let it go quietly into the past.
Tapping through the points in any way you like:

My inner critic tells me I am no good
My inner critic always says, “Could have been better”
My inner critic tells me I am a loser
Wow, it’s pretty ruthless
My inner critic criticizes me before anyone else has a chance to
My inner critic tells me it’s safer to be invisible
My inner critic talks me out of standing out and taking a risk
My inner critic stops my own voice, my own truth, from coming out
Wow, it has a lot of power! I guess I gave it that power.
My inner critic really guilts me!
My inner critic remembers the past and reviews my mistakes for me
My inner critic really DOES live in the past and just won’t let it go!
Wow, that is really, really helpful!
My inner critic keeps me down, alone, a slave, scared, worthless
Maybe it has taken over for my parents
Maybe it is trying to keep me safe
Or maybe it just pain, sadness and disappointment. Stuck!

It’s okay, I am observing it now
And feeling the loss
All these years of listening to this critic
A recording playing in my head
Just like it was the God’s honest truth
Assuming I deserved to hear it, feel it
But it was just a recorded loop, a thought pattern
It’s okay, as I observe it, I now see and feel it is not all of me
Just a virtual part of me that I have practiced.
As I see that, it is already weakening
Because the real me, my soul, is eternal and whole and perfect
My soul has NEVER been anything but perfect and loved and whole
so as I observe my inner critic
I am now open to the gifts of my soul
I need help with this one!

I am so grateful to step up in consciousness
And observe my inner critic
I am so grateful to the wiser, stronger, older part of me
That loves me so much
It has brought me this healing moment!

Good luck with your Inner Critic! You can always count on EFT to help in every situation, no matter what the problem may be. I'll record a video on how to do this routine in the near future.

No comments: